Jun 18, 2008

Practice, Practice, Practice









There's an old saying I often think about: "Repetition is the mother of all knowledge." That definitely holds true for sports photography. These shots (especially the action ones) took some repetition before I got it right. Thanks go to my 12-year-old model for letting me take a second set of jump-shot, lay-up, and dribbling shots. (It was hot out too!) By the way, I love the 5th image, his "game face." He looks like a model for a sports drink ad.

While I'm giving out praise, I should also tell you what an amazing job Jacob did with the spot color on the first image. (Make sure you click on the image to see a larger version of the photo. ) In general, I am an "in-camera" photographer. I do very little retouching to photos and really try to get it right at the shoot so no editing is necessary. However, some images can't be created in camera, and it takes a real artist to transform a nice photo into something spectacular like this. Jacob did another spot color photo I love. Check it out: Special Edit: Spot Color.

Do you have school-age kids who would like to model for me? You will get awesome photos of your kids doing what they do best, and your kids will get some fun experience modeling for me like this young man and his sister. I'm especially looking to practice more action and sports photography. So, if your kid does soccer, T-ball, baseball, dance, gymnastics, or other action-packed activity, please contact us to sign up for my Kids and Teens Photo Project.

3 comments:

  1. I really like these. Roscoe wanted to add that if you want to practice your action shots that you should go to the local skate park!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Hope you guys are having a good summer. The sun has finally come out and we can start to do some things. I have a question for you, Do you guys use Photo Shop. I am looking into maybe getting some software that will give me more options thatn my comes with our Kodak. I see everyone has these really cool layout on their blog and I want them too. Anway, check out my photo safari.
    http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/

    Not as good as you guys, but I had fun. K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear K,

    Good question. Yes and no. On this particular post, Jacob used Gimp, an open-source software like Photoshop. However, other items in our blog were done in Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, and some in Picasa. I also use a nice little program called FastStone Photo Resizer for adding the watermark to our photos.

    If you would like to buy software to do photo editing, I recommend Photoshop Elements. If you just want to play around a bit more for free, there's a great little online photo editing service called Picnik.com that I like for photo newbies.

    ReplyDelete