Mar 18, 2008

Shoot what you love; Love what you shoot

Marchet writes:

I've been thinking a lot lately about the kind of photography I like to shoot best. It's the candid work I do, the photojournalism-style photos that capture an emotion, a story, or a pivotal moment. Perhaps it's just the yearbook teacher in me, but I feel as a photographer, my role is not to create reality, but to capture it.

Take this photo. My son and I were invited to a birthday party for his little friend (in the pink dress). During the party, the babies started grabbing at one of the adults' cell phones. All of a sudden, there were tons of cell phones for the babies to play with (everyone pitched their phone into the pile). The birthday girl had to examine each one, leaving my little boy with whichever one she didn't want at the moment. Eventually, my boy had no cell phones and birthday girl had them all. I love this photo because I remember the story that goes with it.

Right now, I'm working on a project about early motherhood and babies. It's a photojournalism project I am doing to build my portfolio and shoot the kind of photos I love. I'm still looking for moms and babies to model for this project. Please email me if you are interested: marchetbutler@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment